I’m a Partner in the award-winning International Trusts and Private Client team in Jersey, with over 20 years' experience of advising on Jersey private wealth holding structures.
I practise in all aspects of non-contentious trust and foundation law. My focus is on assisting trust companies and settlors on issues concerning private, purpose and philanthropic trusts and foundations. In particular I draft and advise upon new reserved power trusts, distributions, revocations, restructures, indemnities, supplemental instruments, charters and regulations for Jersey foundations and prepare all other associated documentation. My work often involves multi-jurisdictional aspects with overseas trustees and beneficiaries. I also advise upon dynasty structuring, generational succession issues and Jersey probate applications.
I’ve spoken at trust conferences in Jersey, Moscow, London, Geneva and Singapore, as well as at events for Jersey Finance, the Jersey Association of Trust Companies and STEP.
I co-authored the Jersey template precedents for instruments of retirement and appointment of trustees (together with indemnities) for the STEP Practical Guide to the Transfer of Trusteeships (published in 2007 and republished 2011).
I’ve written articles for the Trust and Trustees World Survey, the Journal of Trusts and Estate Planning, the Journal of International Tax, Trust and Corporate Planning, and The Times.
- Called to the Jersey Bar as an Advocate, January 2000
- Solicitor, Jersey, 1999
- Trusts Law Working Group, advising as an industry contributor to the no. 4, 5, 6 and 7 Amendments to the Trusts (Jersey) Law, 1984
- Foundations Law Working Group, advising as an industry contributor to the Foundations (Jersey) Law 2009 and the associated Winding-up, Continuance and Merger regulations
- Charities Law Working Group, advising as an industry contributor to the Charities (Jersey) Law 2014 and related orders and regulations
- Former committee member of the Jersey Association of Trust Companies (JATCo)
- Jersey Law Society
What the directories say
- Commentators say Giles Corbin 'is very technical, friendly and efficient.' One client reports that 'he is extremely knowledgeable and professional,' adding that he 'can be counted on to come with the right advice.' Chambers UK, 2019.
- Legal 500 Hall of Fame 2018
- Private Client Global Elite - Private Client, trusts and tax in 2017 and 2018.
- Who's Who Legal, 2017 lists Giles in Private Client.
- Giles is described as 'clear and concise' and 'very proactive in giving guidance and deals with complex issues extremely quickly' in Chambers UK, 2017.
- Legal 500 UK, 2016 lists Giles as a Leading Lawyer for Private Client, Trust and Tax and describes him as 'thoughtful and analytical'.
- "Giles Corbin is recognised as a 'seasoned practitioner who provides excellent advice and guidance.' He is said to have 'one of the best technical minds on the island when it comes to Jersey trust law matters'," Chambers UK, 2016.
Read more about Giles Corbin