I’m an investment fund specialist and Partner of Mourant LP, based in our Jersey office.
I’ve worked in the funds and trust industry since 1997. Prior to joining Mourant Ozannes, I was a senior lawyer at Australia's largest investment fund manager, advising on areas of trust law, superannuation and managed investments for some of Australia's leading investment funds. I also have four years of commercial funds administration experience.
My practice focuses on real estate, private equity and venture capital funds, as well as private joint venture arrangements.
I regularly advise global fund promoters, joint ventures and international service providers across a variety of asset classes with a particular focus on overseas pension and sovereign fund investors investing into Europe.
- Undergraduate law qualification, 2000
- Post graduate diploma in legal practice, 2001
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, 2001 (currently non-practising), not admitted in Jersey
- Masters degree in Commercial Law, 2003
- Providing Jersey advice to Henderson Global Investors (now TH Real Estate) in connection with its $22.6bn joint venture with North American financial services provider, TIAA-CREF
- Acting as primary Jersey legal adviser to a number of sovereign funds and pension funds located in South East Asia in connection with their investment in commercial property in the UK valued at over £4bn
- Advising on the successful fund extensions for TH Real Estate's Central London Office Fund as well as Standard Life's Retail Parks and Shopping Centre Unit Trusts (collectively over £2.5bn in asset value)
- Providing Jersey advice to a Malaysian property consortium, comprising property group SP Setia, Sime Darby and Employees Provident Fund, on the joint venture and financing aspects of the consortium's acquisition of landmark Battersea Power Station. The proposed development will be a 15-year project valued at up to £8bn
- Providing Jersey advice to a consortium of investors on the establishment of Links Healthcare REIT Limited, a £700 million closed-ended collective investment fund that indirectly acquired a property portfolio of 12 private hospitals located throughout the UK. The fund was authorised as a Jersey Expert Fund and listed on the Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Advised on the establishment of Resource Eastern European Equity Partners I LP and Resource Eastern European Equity Partners II LP private equity funds, each targeting commitments of up to €200 million and investing in mid-cap agribusinesses in Central and South Eastern Europe
- Acting for Deutsche Bank RREEF on the scheme to merge a major UK property fund with three of RREEF's sector-specific property funds to create one the largest property unit trusts in the UK
- Advising NM Rothchilds & Sons on the launch of the Quintus Mezzanine Fund, a €150 million leveraged mezzanine fund focused on European investments
What the directories say
'Clients praise Joel Hernandez for his strong technical understanding.' Chambers Global, 2019.
Joel Hernandez offers "a good blend of technical strength, commercial pragmatism and clear communication, "according to clients in Chambers Global, 2019.
According to Chambers Global, 2018: 'Clients praise Joel Hernandez for his strong technical understanding. He advises asset managers and investment banks on a full range of transactions.'
Joel is listed as a Ranked Lawyer in Chambers Global, 2018.
Ranked as a Leading Lawyer in IFLR 1000, 2018
Who's Who Legal lists Joel as a recommended expert in their 2018 Private Funds Directory.
Joel is Recommended in Investment Funds, Legal 500 UK, 2018.
Described as 'highly organised and focused on helping to get transactions closed successfully for clients' in Chambers UK, 2017, and is also listed as a Ranked Lawyer.
'Joel Hernandez is 'very user-friendly, responsive and commercial',' says Chambers UK, 2016.
'Sources note that Joel Hernandez 'is friendly and technical, which is a good combination',' Chambers UK, 2015. Joel is ranked in Investment Funds.
'Joel Hernandez is user-friendly and approachable', Legal 500 UK, 2015. Joel is Recommended in Investment Funds.