I’m Counsel, a Jersey lawyer and an Advocate of the Royal Court of Jersey for our Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice.
I am an experienced advocate and have appeared before the Royal Court on many occasions in contentious matters. I practised at the Bar of England and Wales from 2009 – 2012 and 2017 – 2019 and, during that time, I appeared regularly before the County Court and High Court, in a wide range of applications, case management hearings and trials. Therefore, I have honed my legal skills both at the chancery commercial bar of England and Wales and my busy international litigation practice in Jersey.
I have experience in a broad spectrum of litigation matters, including contentious trusts and private client, insolvency, banking and professional negligence. I have acted in complex and high-value trust and commercial litigation in Jersey, both as the lead advocate and as part of a wider team. I have previously been named as one of eprivateclient's Top 35 Under 35.
I joined Mourant Ozannes in 2012. Having been an Associate, then a Senior Associate in the Litigation team for 5 years, I became a Consultant for the Litigation practice in 2018. In 2019, I became Counsel in the Litigation team in Jersey.
- Advocate of the Royal Court of Jersey, 2014
- Barrister, England & Wales, 2008 (currently non-practising)
- Bar Vocational Course (Outstanding)
- MA (Hons) Jurisprudence: Jesus College, Oxford, First Class
- Lincoln’s Inn
- Chancery Bar Association
- The Law Society of Jersey
- Gas Plus Khalakan Ltd v New Age and Range Energy Resources 2015 (1) JLR N23;  JRC 078- Katie acted and appeared as an advocate in a matter arising out of a complex shareholder dispute relating to the development of oil reserves in the Khalakan Block in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq and, in particular, the provision of information to a minority shareholder in the shareholding structure. In this decision, Katie defended a summary judgment application, formulating, and ultimately succeeding on, a jurisdictional argument. Katie also acted in related proceedings for the enforcement of an arbitration award.
- Kuwait Oil Tanker Company SAK v Al Mutawa and Chadwick  JRC 182- Katie acted for the sole creditor in a deceased bankrupt’s estate in seeking to enforce a multi-million pound judgment debt by bringing breach of trust proceedings against a relative of the deceased bankrupt. Katie appeared as advocate in interim applications in this matter.
- Representation of A Limited and In the Matter of the B Trust  JRC 024- Katie successfully acted for a trustee in its application for rectification of an instrument made under a discretionary trust, on the basis that the instrument failed to carry out the intentions of the settlor
- Acted for two settlors in successful applications to set aside dispositions into trust (which had exposed the settlors to significant tax liabilities in England) on grounds of mistake
- Acted for the trustee of a trust worth in the region of US$350m in a complex dispute involving removal of trustees, reasonable security for potential liabilities of the trustee and regarding the validity of certain trust documents.
- Acted for the trustee in a highly complex application for a blessing of the trustee’s in-principle decision to enter into a restructuring of the trust’s considerable assets, in order to give effect to a decision of the High Court in England and Wales in ancillary relief proceedings involving the primary beneficiary and settlor of the trust (In the Matter of the D Settlement  JRC 061)
- Acted in an alleged interest-rate swap mis-selling case
- Appeared before the Royal Court in Public Trustee v Cooper proceedings
Read more about Katie Hooper