I'm Counsel and an Advocate in our Guernsey Litigation practice, with over 10 years' experience at the firm.
I specialise in commercial litigation and have significant experience of acting for financial services businesses in contractual disputes, trusts, insolvency and regulatory/compliance matters. I have a particular interest in commercial or trust disputes involving private international law aspects and cross-border disputes (particularly those which raise issues of jurisdiction and enforcement of foreign judgments).
In addition to my contentious work, I have a strong expertise in intellectual property law and am recognised as one of the few Guernsey intellectual property law specialists. I’ve advised clients in infringement disputes involving trademarks and copyrights, and regularly provide practical guidance for individuals and companies on aspects of Guernsey intellectual property laws.
I'm fluent in English and French, andI have a good knowledge of German and Lingala.
- Advocate, Guernsey, 2011
- Solicitor, England and Wales, 2010 (currently non-practising)
- Legal Professional Course, 2010
- Graduate Diploma in Law, 2008
- Master in Commercial Law with Northumbria University, 2006
- Master in Political Sciences as an Erasmus student at Warwick University, 2004
- French Licence in Law at the University of Lille (France), 2003
- French and German Law DEUG at the University of Saarland (Germany), 2002
- Acting for a corporate trustee in a contested Public Trustee v Cooper application regarding the decision to divide a multi-million dollar trust fund between two sides of a family;
- Successfully defended an emergency injunction sought on one hour notice by beneficiaries to stop the trustee of an EBT exercising its voting rights at the employer's AGM that morning;
- Acted for a professional executor in defending costs claims arising out of hostile proceedings by the beneficiaries, which included a claim for repayment of the executor's fees to the estate;
- Advised large investment bank in customers' claims for negligent investment advice and mis-selling of high risk investments products;
- Acting in shareholders' disputes, including representing minority shareholder in unfair prejudice petition;
- Running local and cross-border recovery and enforcement actions, including acting for regulated lenders in saisie proceedings and enforcing foreign judgments against Guernsey assets;
- Representing liquidators and administrators in court procedures, including compulsory liquidation application, directions application, discharge of orders;
- Acted for a world renowned casino in a claim for passing off and trade mark infringement against an online casino site.
- The Guernsey International Legal Association
- INSOL International
- The Guernsey IP Commercial Group
- Guernsey Registered Image Rights Agent, Patent Agent and Trade Mark Agent
Read more about Sandra Duerden